How To Choose Marble Or Limestone
Marble Or Limestone: Which Material To Chose
Are you interested in obtaining a custom home feature made of marble or limestone? If you aren’t sure what material to use, we are here to help. You most likely know which feature you want such as a fireplace, door surrounds or a kitchen hood, but do you may not know if you want marble or limestone. These are both fantastic choices for beautiful, durable material.
What’s The Difference?
The main difference between the two is that marble is a metamorphic rock, while limestone is a sedimentary rock. Sedimentary rock is formed from minerals and particles – limestone is usually formed under water, which is why it often has shells, sand or mud particles in it. Yet, marble is metamorphic, which is either sedimentary or igneous rocks that have been crystallized due to high temperature. Both of these natural materials have been used in architecture throughout history.
What Are The Benefits?
So how do you decide on which material to choose if both have similar benefits? Typically, the choice comes down to your personal preference of the look that you like the best. Today, we are going to look at the benefits of both marble and limestone to help you decide between these stone materials.
Pros and Cons of Marble
Marble is commonly used for many types of home features due to its incredible benefits. Take a look below at a few reasons why many homeowners choose marble.
- Greater variety of colors than limestone – colors vary from white, to black, to pinks, to tans, to reds, to greens, to blues and greys
- Spectacular beauty – natural stone appeal with classic, beautiful streaks of color
- Very durable – doesn’t not stain
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Marble is resistant to heat
- Widely available
- It is a porous material that can etch or stain from acid based cleaners or food. The best way to avoid this problem is by using a sealer and maintaining it every couple years.
Pros and Cons of Limestone
Limestone has been used in homes for centuries. This natural stone is known for its beauty and ease for cutting, shaping and carving it. Take a look at more of its benefits, below.
- Neutral colors – typically comes in a range of colors such as browns, tan, and greys.
- Stunning aesthetics – beautiful natural stone appearance
- Easy to maintain
- Not as costly as marble
- Can etch with certain acid solutions and needs to be cared for properly. By using and maintaining a sealer, you can help avoid scratches to the surface.
The Winning Choice
Choosing to go with marble or limestone is ultimately about which material best suits your personal preference and style. Both have similar pros and cons, so the decision typically boils down to which material will look best in your home. Would you prefer a limestone fireplace that has intricate, custom carvings, or do you want the classic beauty of a magnificent marble fireplace? This goes for all other custom home features such as fountains, stairs, columns and more. When you have a certain style in mind, it makes choosing the material much easier. Of course, if you have questions or would like professional advice, we are always happy to help.